Can Swallowing a Can Tab Kill You

Can Swallowing a Can Tab Kill You?

Can tabs are small, thin pieces of metal with sharp edges. If swallowed, they can puncture the intestines and cause serious injury. In some cases, death has occurred.

However, there are no reported cases of death from swallowing a can tab in the United States. While it is possible to die from swallowing a can tab, it is very unlikely.

Will Swallowing a Can Tab Kill You?

The answer to this question is most likely no, swallowing a can tab will not kill you. However, it is possible to puncture your intestines if the can tab lodges in the wrong place. This could lead to infection or other serious complications. In rare cases, death has been reported.

Possible Reasons To Die If You Swallowed a Can Tab

If swallowed, a can tab can puncture the intestines. The sharp edges of the metal can cut through the intestine wall and cause internal bleeding.

If left untreated, this can lead to sepsis (a potentially life-threatening condition caused by infection) or death.

In some cases, the can tab may become lodged in the throat or esophagus. This can cause difficulty breathing and may require surgery to remove the tab.

What To Do If You Swallowed a Can Tab

If you or someone you know has swallowed a can tab, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

When at the hospital, the doctor will likely do an X-ray to see if the can tab is lodged in the throat or esophagus. If it is, they may need to remove it surgically.

The doctor will also check for signs of internal bleeding. If present, they will treat accordingly. This may involve surgery, blood transfusions, or other treatments.

Prevention Is The Best Medicine

The best way to avoid swallowing a can tab is to be careful when opening cans. Cut away from yourself and avoid touching the sharp edges of the can tab.

If you have young children in your home, be sure to keep cans and can tab out of their reach.

How Long Does It Take For A Swallowed Object to Pass?

It usually takes about 2 to 3 days for swallowed objects to pass through the digestive system. However, if the object is sharp or jagged, it may become lodged in the intestines. This can cause serious injury or even death.

What Happens If You Swallow a Soda Cap?

Soda caps are made of a softer plastic and are not as sharp as can tabs. However, they can still cause problems if swallowed.

The soda cap may become lodged in the throat or esophagus and cause difficulty breathing. In some cases, surgery may be required to remove the soda cap.

Moreover, if the soda cap is swallowed along with the can, there is a risk of puncturing the intestines. This can lead to infection or other serious complications.

10 BANNED Candies that Can Kill

Bottom Line

While it is possible to die from swallowing a can tab, it is very unlikely. Most people will pass the tab without any problems.

However, if you or someone you know has swallowed a can tab, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Scroll to Top